Friday, May 9, 2014

Being a Mom

To me, being a mom means...

No matter how hard I try to keep the house clean, there will always be at least a couple toys out and finger smudges on the walls and mirrors.
Half the clothes in my closet are probably dirty. 
I live by someone else's schedule. 
I always put someone elses needs and wants before my own, even if I don't always want to. 
I never have a second to myself. When I go to the bathroom, there's someone right behind the door wanting in. When I take a shower there's always a head peeking in. 
It means giving up my body. My young, stretch mark free body with narrow hips and boobs that could hold themselves up.
It means constant worrying. About their health, safety, whether I'm doing the right things..
It means endless sleepless nights. Whether I'm up with a crying baby, up worrying about my baby, or up with the aches and pains if pregnancy. 
It means always having songs from cartoons stuck in my head. 
It means when I  "share" a piece of toast, I eat all the edges so he can have the yummy middle. 
It means "sharing" everything. 
Being a mom means sacrifice. 


But it also means...

I get to be someone's hero. 
My kisses make everything all better. 
It's my voice that can soothe him to sleep. 
It's my face he looks for at the park when he conquers his fear and goes down the slide all by himself
It's me he runs to when he's feeling scared or shy. 
It's me he puts all his trust in.
It's me he shares all their dreams with. Even if right now all that is is swinging on all his favorite swing sets or going to swim in Grandpas hot tub. They're his dreams! 
It means I have all the right curves to snuggle up against. 
It means getting the most happiness out of the smallest thing. Like listening to his laugh, or his cute little voice. 
It means I get to be part of the miracle of growing a little human inside me. 
It means God trusts me enough to care for these sweet spirits. 
It means never being alone. 
It means having a heart so full sometimes I think it's going to burst. 

Being a mom is the greatest blessing I could have ever hoped for. Every single part of it. 
Happy Mothers Day! 



 

3 comments: